Chances are that at some point in your life, someone has told you that vitamin C is good for you. Well, you know what? They were right. But do you know why?
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C – also known as ascorbic acid – is an antioxidant, as we learned last week. It is also one of the world’s safest and most important nutrients, necessary for the growth, development and repair of all body tissues.
Vitamin C is involved in several body functions, including the formation of collagen, absorption of iron, the immune system, wound healing, and the maintenance of cartilage, bones, and teeth.
Health Benefits of Vitamin C
According to recent research, vitamin C offers several health benefits in the following areas:
- Stress: A recent study found vitamin C to be beneficial to individuals whose immune system was weakened due to stress.
- Colds: While vitamin C is not a cure for the common cold, several studies have shown it to help reduce the risk of more serious complications, such as pneumonia and lung infections.
- Stroke: One study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that those with the highest concentrations of vitamin C in their blood were associated with 42% lower stroke risk than those with the lowest concentrations.
- Aging: An American Journal of Clinical Nutrition study examined links between nutrient intakes and skin aging in 4,025 women aged 40-74 and found that those with high vitamin C intakes experienced a lower likelihood of wrinkles, fine lines, and dry skin.
Vitamin C and Your Skin
Vitamin C is just one of many antioxidants that help protect you against the damaging effects of free radicals, which are molecules that can negatively affect your skin and other vital parts of your body. Other benefits of vitamin C include:
- Scientific data have shown that Vitamin C will help increase the amount of collagen production in the skin.
- Vitamin C is also a natural anti-inflammatory, which can help reverse some of the effects of sun damage.
- By increasing the amount of collagen in the skin, the look of fine lines can be reduced.
Plantogen® products combine some of Mother Nature’s well known healers such as Manuka Honey, Chamomile, Jojoba, Aloe Vera, fruit oils, herbs, Vitamin A derived Retinol and antioxidants, like Vitamin C. Some of the Plantogen® products that utilize the healing powers of vitamin C include: Plantogen® Foaming Cleanser for Oily/Combination, Plantogen® Anti Aging Cream Cleanser, Plantogen® Skin Bright Gentle Microdermabrasion, Plantogen® Hydrating Moisturiser for Normal/Dry, Plantogen® Skin Brightening Anti Aging Moisturiser, and Plantogen® Overnight Stress Repair.
All Vitamin C in Plantogen is encapsulated in liposomes to help prevent oxidation or degeneration of the Vitamin C and allowing for targeted delivery.
Plantogen® plant derived spa therapy combines pure plant extracts with scientific know how. Plant energy is powerful. The essence of health and beauty comes from within. We can make ourselves feel and look better by taking care of our bodies. Nurture yourself, relieve stress, respect your body and soul. Stay calm, be happy, drink lots of water.
Our philosophy to skincare is this simple.
All Plantogen® products are made in New Zealand where we believe the pace is a little slower, the air is a little cleaner and the water a little purer.